The facts are coming in slowly on the destruction and deaths surrounding the Miami condo that collapsed only hours ago.
Loved ones of the almost 160 people who are unaccounted for continue to wait for news after a 12-story condominium building collapsed Thursday just north of Miami.
As of Friday, 159 people were still unaccounted for, authorities said. At least four people are dead.
News of the condo collapse has reverberated globally as missing residents have roots around the world. Among them are Orthodox Jews from Russia, Argentine Americans and the sister of Paraguay’s first lady.
As of late Thursday, 20% of the people unaccounted for in the wake of the building’s collapse were South Americans, and news of the collapse was on the front page of news organization websites across the hemisphere.
‘We still have hope’:At least 4 dead, 159 unaccounted for in Florida building collapse
A desperate search for survivors of the Florida condo collapse entered a second day Friday as the number of those dead and unaccounted for continued to rise.
Raide Jadallah, the assistant chief of operations for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, told reporters during a morning news conference that the death toll had increased from one to four overnight after authorities pulled three bodies from the rubble of the 12-story building in Surfside, a town near Miami Beach.
There are now some reports that the building had been sinking:
The building, which was constructed in 1981, has been sinking at an alarming rate since the 1990s, according to a study in 2020 by Shimon Wdowinski, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment.
When Wdowinski saw the news that the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside collapsed, he instantly remembered it from the study, he said…
…Wdowinski said his research is not meant to suggest certainty about what caused the collapse. The building was sinking at a rate of about 2 millimeters a year in the 1990s and could have slowed or accelerated in the time since, he said.